Feb 27, 2017 MicroBilt News
Application Programming Interfaces, more commonly known as APIs, have emerged as a driving force behind innovation and efficiency across various industries. Nearly 90% of organizations use APIs in their daily work at this very moment. But why is this the case, and how can a piece of software be responsible for an entirely new level of convenience and efficiency for lenders specifically?
Continue reading and explore APIs' pivotal role in reshaping the financial landscape by enabling enhanced customer experiences, streamlined operations, and unparalleled connectivity.
What is an Application Programming Interface?
APIs simplify app development and enable communication between products and services without detailed knowledge of implementation, making integration easy, especially for the financial sector.
In essence, an API is a set of protocols allowing different software applications to communicate with one another. A perfect example is a group chat that allows an iPhone user to speak with an Android phone.
The Power of APIs in Finance
In the financial sector, APIs act as bridges that connect different systems and enable seamless data exchange. Here's a closer look at how APIs are transforming the financial industry:
- Enhanced Customer Experiences: APIs enable financial institutions to offer innovative products and services, improving customer experiences. By collaborating with third-party developers, banks and fintech companies can create user-friendly applications that provide real-time access to account information, facilitate secure payments, and offer personalized financial advice.
- Open Banking and Data Sharing: APIs are at the heart of the open banking movement, which mandates that banks share customer data securely with authorized third parties. This fosters competition and innovation, allowing consumers to benefit from a broader range of financial services while retaining control over their data.
- Faster Transactions: APIs enable real-time transactions and fund transfers between banks and across borders. This speed is crucial for international businesses and individuals who require quick and reliable financial operations.
- Risk Management: APIs facilitate real-time data sharing, enabling financial institutions to assess risks more accurately. This is particularly important in fraud detection, where immediate responses prevent significant losses.
- Efficient Operations: APIs streamline internal operations within financial institutions. They connect different systems and departments, enabling smoother processes for tasks like customer onboarding, compliance checks, and account management.
API's Role in Lending
If you work as a loan officer in consumer lending, you're most likely aware that the software used to support your business can often fall short of providing all the necessary information to make safe lending decisions.
In loan underwriting, APIs can automate data collection and analysis to simplify the loan application process. For example, lenders use APIs to access borrower data such as bank accounts, credit reports, and employment history to make informed lending decisions.
MicroBilt understands lenders' challenges when making credit decisions based on limited or incomplete data. That is why we offer a variety of tools to help you with your credit scoring and decisioning needs. Contact us today to learn more.
Challenges and Considerations
Although APIs offer significant benefits, their adoption presents challenges, such as ensuring security, data privacy, and interconnection among various systems. Financial institutions are responsible for implementing robust security measures to safeguard sensitive customer information and prevent unauthorized access.
How to Make the Most of APIs
A 2022 survey found that the number of open banking Application Programming Interface calls is forecasted to grow from 102 billion in 2023 to 580 billion in 2027. Businesses worldwide are finding new ways to integrate these protocols and streamline their day-to-day operations. That makes it all the more critical that your business doesn't fall behind.
That's why MicroBilt offers 50+ APIs to power your software and applications with frequently refreshed, reliably delivered data. Designed for everything from loan origination and identity confirmation to background screening and fraud detection, our APIs provide quality data efficiently and cost-effectively. Contact one of our helpful representatives and learn more!